Thursday, July 9, 2009

Are you as tired of stupid people as I am?

Well the title of today's entry says it all. My question is "Are you as tired of stupid people as I am?" I mean really and truly - the dumbing down of America continues...

So here I am, stuck in bed fighting off pneumonia. Since I live in NYC one of the great conveniences I have at my disposal is the ability to place an entire order from the grocery store, and, have it delivered. I've done this on other occasions when I was either sick with a bad cold or running very late and simply didn't have time. So I placed my order, and, the delivery man came when I was ready to give him his tip, I realized I didn't have anything smaller than a $50 bill. So I asked him if he was able to make change and he said "I think so". Please note two important factors here: I said delivery man (he was easily into his late 40s or early 50s) and the other important fact here is that the reply was "I think so".

Turns out this man did NOT know how to make change, and, had I been a less honest person, could have robbed this guy blind. This man clearly at least finished high school, possibly even had some college because he was able to hold an intelligent conversation. And, I suspect he was delivering groceries either to supplement another job or it is the best he could do at the moment given the economy.

It is a sad and scary state that a man well into his 40s could not make change. And, he is not a limited case. No longer do cashiers in grocery or department stores need to be able to make change, the machine tells them exactly what is owed and what change should be returned to the customer. Even with that I've had clerks stare at me and even ask me to help them make change.

I'm amazed some people have enough brain power to remember how to breath! We are in deep trouble my friends, stupid people are everywhere these days.

No comments: