Sunday, July 12, 2009

Couture Fashion Week in NYC

Well, the doctor wants me to take a few more days off before returning to work. I'm on the mend but, he wants me to gain some strength back before attempting to start my daily grind.

In the meantime, I've had a very nice opportunity to attend Couture Fashion Week the weekend of September 11 - 13. Since it is an invitation that includes VIP seating with the chance to meet the models and designers backstage, I am jumping at the chance. The event is being held at the Waldorf-Astoria. While my invite includes the Couture Fashion Week Ball on Saturday evening, I may pass on the ball. I don't really enjoy that type of event, not the dressing part, but, the social/networking part. I do enough of that during the week, I certainly don't want to do that during the weekend during my down time. And, since I'm not really involved in the fashion world, it would not be something that would help my career. (Not to mention I don't want to look like a beached whale in my size 8 dress next to size 0 - 4 models).

Models never cease to amaze me. I exercise (hard) for at least one hour every day when I am not sick - aerobics, pilates, running. I faithfully keep myself in the 1300 - 1500 calorie range daily. And, while I'm thin - I can't imagine taking myself down to 1000 - 1100 calories and doing twice the exercise daily to have a model's body.

I've always had a lot of respect for models. Oh sure, there are those who think they are brainless and they get paid tons of money for a few minutes work but, of the models I've met personally - I've found very bright, hard working women who don't deserve the sneers and jeers that often come with the job.

But, I digress - I'm looking forward to the event. See you at fashion week!

No comments: