Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Nutcracker - Sweet!

As I continue to recover from my bout with pneumonia, friends keep creeping out of the woodwork, checking in on me and, asking me to join them in different activities. Last night I was very pleasantly surprised to hear from an old friend whom I haven't seen in two years. He has moved back to the NYC area, and, after chit-chatting for about an hour, we firmed our tentative date for me to join him in December for a performance of The Nutcracker. I adore Lincoln Center and ballet, so, of course, my answer was an immediate yes.

I was a bit stunned when I told a co-worker about the date, and, she wasn't familiar with the The Nutcracker story. I thought it was as common knowledge as the story of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. The basic story is that it is Christmas eve, and, a little girl is given a Nutcracker as a present, and, in a dream sequence, toys comes to life. For a full description of the story, I recommend this link: http://www.nycballet.com/nutcracker/read.html (simply click on the book and then click the book each time you are ready to go to the next page. Note that flash is required to view the book)

So this is yet another event I have added to my social calendar. I guess I am rushing the summer a bit, but, I am very anxious to see the dresses that will be available for the Fall, Winter, and, of course, the holidays in 2009. I'm thinking of velvet - it's classic after all, and, it is certainly something I will wear more than once. That isn't to imply I don't already own a velvet dress, truth be told, I own 3 (one in red, one black and one in navy) but, if I can find something that "wows" me, then I will buy it for this occasion.

There is something extremely fun and festive about going to The Nutcracker. Children running about in outfits I am sure they will wear for Christmas Day. Men in suits and tuxedos. Ladies in cocktail dresses, some in full gowns.

We're also discussing where we are going to have dinner that evening. Picholine? The Grand Tier? Arpeggio? Or perhaps something entirely different.

Of course, we will be taking our mandatory photos of the Lincoln Center Christmas tree when we are there. The one shown is from a few years past. While not as famous as it's Rockefeller Center counter part - The Lincoln Center Tree does have some ceremony with it. When the 2009 information becomes available, I will be sure to provide it. If it follows past tradition, it should be on Monday, November 30, 2009, however, as I already stated, I will post the correct information when it becomes available.

With that, I see it is time for me to get ready for my doctor's appointment, and, I will wish you a wonderful Saturday.

No comments: