Friday, July 17, 2009

21 Club - Yes there IS a dress code

Once again the idiots of the world continue to make their way to NYC. I was on http://www.opentable.com making reservations for 21 Club. Having been to this restaurant many, many times I know what to expect and how to dress. I will add this restaurant has never disappointed me.

I noticed the reviews section, and, decided to see what others had to say. Overall, the reviews are positive, and, then I reached this one:
"I was upset with 21 Club because I booked my reservations online, booked 3 broadway shows online, and booked my hotel and flight all online. I was set to see "Wicked" and dine at 21 Club before. My daughter and I were in NYC on a mother-daughter trip, to try to forget that my 34 year old son died in his sleep in March. We planned our whole trip around this one awesome dinner reservation. We were running late, called and moved our time 1 hour ahead, and showered, dressed, and hailed a cab. We arrived at the club and were told we were not admitted because we were underdressed. I was never so insulted in all my life. We looked fine. and when you are seated, no one can tell whether you have on a skirt, or dress shorts. Post DRESS CLOTHES online"

TO THIS I REPLY:

Well DUH! Here's the link to the dress code: http://www.21club.com/web/onyc/hours.jsp


I don't buy this woman's excuse for a minute. She was certainly up for a good enough time to book the trip and go to some shows, therefore, the excuse she was upset about her son's death isn't going to fly with me.

This is just another example of idiots taking over the United States. All this woman had to do was click the "21 Club" link and scroll down to "Hours and Dress Code"

Now exactly what is unclear about this request, taken directly from the 21 website?
Attire/Dress Code

Bar Room, Upstairs at '21', Cocktail Lounge & Wine Cellar:
Jeans and sneakers are not permitted. Jackets are necessary for gentlemen with ties preferred at dinner.
I mean come on! If Jackets are necessary for gentleman, on what planet does that mean women in shorts - even if they are dress shorts - would be acceptable? Ok, one exception to the rule MIGHT be Bermuda, however, this is NYC and NOT Bermuda!

And, yes, surprise, surprise, dress codes are enforced.

Had this woman been allowed in, regardless of how she was dressed, I am positive she would have complained about 21 being too snooty or stiff. I've seen this type in action once too often to know what she is all about without ever having met her.

Click here for the review above, as well as other reviews

1 comment:

The Man from Rio said...

I couldn't be that clear. I'm happy she's been thrown out.