Friday, June 19, 2009

British Airways, Flying with a Cold, London and Mr Wonderful

I arrived at JFK early, fearful that security would whisk me away accusing me of having swine flu, fortunately, that did not happen. Since I flew Club World Class, check in was fast, and, before long I was through security, and, on my way to the BA lounge. I was pleasantly surprised that I could use the lounge since I was only in Club World Class and not First Class. A bigger surprise? That within the lounge is a spa called Elemis and they have complimentary treatments (15 minutes in length) for World Club and First Class passengers. I gladly took part and opted for what they call the "Intelligent Massage Chair". Just what my sick, aching body was longing! It was wonderful.

Before I knew it, it was time to board my flight. The photo is the Club World class seats, as you can see, it's well worth the money (if you can afford it) to avoid sardine, I mean, coach class. The flight over wasn't too bad, my doctor gave me medicine that made me drowsy but, it took a while to nod off. So, I watched a few things on the personal video. The choices were actually not bad, I watched Bride Wars with Anne Hathaway, Kate Hudson and Candice Bergen. It's a cute movie, certainly a "chick flick" (the basic plot is that two best friends played by Kate Hudson and Anne Hathaway turn into Bridezillas.) It certainly isn't going to win an academy award, but, for lighthearted entertainment while on a Transatlantic flight with a bad cold, it hit the spot. Speaking of my cold, the flight attendants couldn't have been nicer or kinder to me and kept me well supplied with hot tea. Thank you again!

Finally, we touch ground at Heathrow. I had a fair nights sleep, and, all things considered, I can't complain except my ears are blocked from the combination of the cold and the decent into the airport. Clearing customs, I found my love waiting for me, he looked terrible (and sounded worse - his cold is in both his chest and head - mine started in the head and moved to the chest) but, we embraced, told each other how glad we were to see each other, kissed, and, headed out to get a taxi to our hotel in London.

The taxi ride was uneventful, and, we pulled up to The Gorning, our refuge for the next several nights. We arrived in the morning (way before normal check in time), but, the front desk was kind enough to let us check-in. I guess they could see we were both sick and miserable. So, room key in hand we proceed to our room, and, open it up to the surprise of our lives - they upgraded us! WOW! What a wonderful surprise to find out we were given a room with a balcony. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE AT THE GORING HOTEL!

We simply put our bags down, thanked and tipped the bellman, and, headed straight for the bed. Within a few minutes my love was fast asleep, and, I rested but, after 15 minutes, I got back up since I couldn't fall asleep.

So I have jumped online to give you the first update from London. It's cloudy and rather cool, I think it's 17 c which is around 59 or 60 degrees Fahrenheit. It's now almost 1pm London time, so, I am going to let my love sleep another half hour before waking him. I want him to be able to sleep tonight.

More to come either tonight or tomorrow.





Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: