Wednesday, June 10, 2009

If we're in June, why am I thinking ahead to the holidays already?

It's only June, and, here I am thinking ahead to the holidays. I'm not particularly fond of the holidays, but, this year I claimed dibs on Thanksgiving. Mainly because I can't stand another Thanksgiving at my sister-in-law's and eating what can only be described as mystery meat. She does not serve turkey and that's just the beginning to what is wrong with her hosting this holiday.

So, I have put the claim on the holiday, and, plan to do it right. Already there are issues, like trying to talk my Father out of the idea of taking my niece (who will be four years old at the time) all the way across town to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade live. I think he forgets the attention span of a four year old coupled with cold weather and crowds which is not going to make it a pleasurable experience for anyone - least of all my niece.

Another issue is getting my brother and sister-in-law to commit to go to see the Christmas Show at Radio City after we have Thanksgiving dinner. I have a good friend who is offering me complimentary tickets (that happen to be excellent seats) and, all my brother and sister-in-law have to do is say yes. What has me annoyed is the tickets are FREE, and, yet, my sister-in-law is dragging her feet in giving me an answer, and, I am not the type who is going to take more tickets than I need (and take advantage of a friend's very generous offer.) So, I have set a deadline for them, and, it's just wait and see.

Why is it that some people are so self-centered and/or self-important that they can't give you a straight answer? And, this isn't just a family issue, it's an issue I encounter every day. Like people who pass me on the road and end up slamming on their brakes at the next red light - I catch them within 5 or 10 seconds at the light. I usually just smile and give a little wave. I'm not impressed by someone who can drive fast and end up in the same location as me anyhow.

That aside, it's time to start thinking about a menu, and, you can rest assured knowing that Turkey will be the star of my Thanksgiving dinner in 2009!

No comments: