Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Carrie Bradshaw Want-To-Be types in NYC

Sooner or later, you'll figure out I'm from NYC, and, ever since Sex and the City came on the air and then went to the big screen, I've been entertained by thousands of Carrie Bradshaw Want-To-Be types. They are pretty easy to spot because 9 times out of 10 they are tourists. You'll first notice them because they're wearing high heals that obliviously hurt and it affects the way they walk. Then you'll notice that they are wearing very trendy clothes that usually do not flatter their specific body types.

I sit back and watch these women, and, often wonder what they are thinking - are their own lives so empty that they need to try to replicate what they see in a television program? Or is it a half-witted attempt to try to find and attract their own version of "Mr Big"? Regardless, I find it amusing.

The positive affect Sex and the City has brought along with it is that women, at least in New York City, are once again dressing like women. Dresses and skirts are a welcome change to the other parts of the country where jeans, flip flops and an ill-fitting shirt are the standards. Believe me, I am not shallow, not in the least but, it boggles my mind why some women won't take the time to make themselves more presentable.

I don't want to hear the excuse that someone is raising children by herself. I can tell you of no less than 10 women I know personally who are single Moms (some with upwards of 4 children) who manage to put themselves together every single day and still find time to go to work, cook, clean, help with homework and go to children's activities. And, no, they do not have nannies, housekeepers or help from their own parents. It can be done.

I don't wish to sound harsh or be overly judgmental since I am single with no kids, and, therefore, have no real life experience in this area but, I still can't figure out why some women just give up on themselves. Every woman out there has worth, and, we should show the world we are here and we care about ourselves and the world around us!

Getting back to the Carrie Bradshaw Want-To-Be types, while I applaud the efforts to try, it's my opinion that you should develop your own style. Let your own personality come through via your clothing, shoes and accessories. Even though I'm still single, I date and I date often, and, I have my own style. I do not copy things I see from a television program, and, yes, believe it or not, I do have my own "Mr Big" type relationship with a special friend that has been going on for nearly 10 years now. I know we will never marry as Carrie did in the Sex and the City movie, but, the point I want to drive home is that I doubt my personal Mr Big ever would have given me a second look if I look like everyone else on the street. He has told me many, many times that one of my most attractive qualities is my uniqueness.

So put away the shoes that hurt your feet. All they do is make you walk funny! And, most import of all - be your own person! I certainly am!

No comments: